Friday, January 14, 2011

Diet Diary #1

On January 4th I started the slow-carb diet, cheating on Saturdays with the goal to lose a little more fat.

Back in June in an effort to get back in shape, we began going to the gym again. While I began to gain some strength and size, one thing never really changed – the spare tire. Now, compared to some it’s more like a spare you might find on a Prius, but it was there nonetheless. And in spite of eating well and working out 4 days a week, it simply would not go away.

Starting weight on January 4th was 179.4. Now, of course weight isn’t the best way to measure progress, it is a way. Losing fat and gaining muscle will change both affect weight gain. Currently I have not lost any muscle. Workout has changed, more in an effort to change routine, though. As of the 14th, 10 days later, weight is 173.8. That’s a loss of 5.6 pounds in 10 days. Most of that is around my gut.

As far as the diet goes, I have eliminated dairy. That’s been the hardest part. I love cheese. The more the better. But as a bonus, my sinuses are almost completely dried up. In addition, I have cut almost all sugars (that means juices and fruits, I’m not a sweets eater – so no big deal there) and eliminated all enriched foods. I have increased green vegetable intake, eating chicken, pork, minimal red meat, some almonds, and protein shakes. I am also eating beans, black beans made with fresh garlic and sautéed peppers and onions are best for me. Topped with Tabasco and it’s perfect. I drink cold water (lots), coffee, and hot tea – green mostly. I am also taking green tea extract for it’s fat killing abilities.

The other effect that this has had so far, is that I don’t feel sluggish throughout the day. Simply put, I feel light on my feet and have a little more pep in my step. I don’t feel tired in the middle of the day. I tend to be a little hypo-glycemic, but have not had any issues now that the diet has changed and is regular. 

I am committed to the diet for a minimum of four weeks. Then, I’ll re-evaluate.

So far, so good.

No comments: